Why Red Donut? The Forum and Team

Welcome to Reddonut!
Traditional forum culture has been missing from Eve for a very long time. Discord is great for closer-knit group chat, but to be part of a wider community you need to visit a lot of servers and hundreds of channels.

Reddit as a whole (not just r/eve) has significant issues - the up/downvote system causes a rapid hive mind growth, and encourages super short form posting of instant hits of dopamine for conforming.
It makes thread be less a conversation and more a collection of statements, as if it was twitter.
Reddit content is fleeting, there one day and gone the next, fiddly and difficult to find again.

A traditional forum on the other hand can be a place for a very large community to thrive, it is a chronological trail of replies to a conversation rather than just lone statements.
You can go back and find things form the past!

Reddonut is the solution in an otherwise empty space.

You sign in using your eve characters.

The hardest thing about getting any community going is getting a core group of active members. After that, it sustains itself.
If you love and miss traditional forum culture, do join and help kickstart this community!
Multiple well known group leaders from across low, null and WH space are excited at the prospect for the return of a traditional forum and are eager to start a better community than the already available options. Get cracking!

The forum is beginning with only a handful of focussed sections, but will expand quickly.

spacer.png

• Phantomite changed the title to Why Red Donut? The Forum and Team

Moderation and the team

The moderation of the forum is intended to be neutral and in the best interests of the community. To create a perfect set of rules would be extremely lengthy, difficult to understand and impossible to create.

No system of moderation will please everyone, but we can do our best to be fair.

If anything becomes a repeat issue, it is likely a rule will be written for it.

We do our best to pick moderators who are mature and capable of performing their duties with neutrality, but we welcome discussion in private or public surrounding moderation issues. To talk in public, feel free to reply to this thread. If you wish to do it in private, please pick a moderator to speak with by forum DM or join the Red Donut Discord to find a team member.

THE TEAM

Phantomite

Suitonia

Rich Richman

Planet 6

Mark Resurrectus

Spite Incarnate

Zaenis Desef

spacer.png

17 hours ago, Yonis Pserad said:

Where can I buy upvotes

9 hours ago, Penta Tonix said:

Go back to reddit

Ignore DTM, start sending me a lot of isk and let's see what happens $$$$$$$$$$$$$

spacer.png

The EVE-O forums are so heavily moderated that they're unusable. Reddit is a cesspit where people talk about the same single topic ad infinitum. Glad you started this.

2 minutes ago, Xuixien said:

The EVE-O forums are so heavily moderated that they're unusable. Reddit is a cesspit where people talk about the same single topic ad infinitum. Glad you started this.

Thank you. I got tired of waiting for someone else to do it, so me and DTM have made it happen.

I think the official forum's problem is that people approach it with the mindset that they're talking with CCP rather than the community.

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, Phantomite said:

I think the official forum's problem is that people approach it with the mindset that they're talking with CCP rather than the community.

That's one of the problems, yes. But try having any kind of argument on the forums and you'll very quickly find your posts flagged and moderated. It's unusable.

Thank you for starting this. Ive found r/eve and the eve forums to be lacking for quite some time. I look forward to seeing this grow.

I miss old scrapheap forum and failheap is pretty much dead regarding EVE. Reddit is just trash.

So thank you for this.

Does a population have informed consent when that population is not taught the inner workings of its monetary system, and then is drawn, all unknowing, into economic adventures?

@Phantomite This is a fantastic idea which I fully support. I have two questions:

1) Would it be possible to associate an Eve account with an email address here, so that we could login with email+password in addition to (not instead of) the Eve SSO? I understand and support the effort to associate every poster with an actual Eve account, but I can't login via the Eve SSO while at work (but I could login via email+password). I have a lot of downtime at my job and while I can currently browse these forums, I can't login to post from my work computer, and that makes me sad.

2) Do you have a mechanism in place for willing parties to support the site maintenance financially?

Edited by Ambassador Spock

59 minutes ago, Ambassador Spock said:

@Phantomite This is a fantastic idea which I fully support. I have two questions:

1) Would it be possible to associate an Eve account with an email address here, so that we could login with email+password in addition to (not instead of) the Eve SSO? I understand and support the effort to associate every poster with an actual Eve account, but I can't login via the Eve SSO while at work (but I could login via email+password). I have a lot of downtime at my job and while I can currently browse these forums, I can't login to post from my work computer, and that makes me sad.

2) Do you have a mechanism in place for willing parties to support the site maintenance financially?

Thank you!

1) For me, it's the network that blocks certain traffic at work rather than the computer - by tethering to my phone, I can sign in and then the browser remembers my session when I reconnect to the work network. Try this, as we don't currently have any plans to have alternate login methods 😞 sorry!

2) for now, it is extremely cheap to run. Depending on the need to expand on VPS power, I will then offer donation options, but for now I don't have any need to source assistance, but the thought is much appreciated

spacer.png

• 2 months later...
On 7/23/2021 at 12:35 PM, Olmeca Gold said:

Great initiative! r/Eve has become a cesspool. Best of luck!

leddit was always a cesspool. Anyway, cool forum. I'll stick around for a bit and see how it goes.

8 hours ago, EaTCarbS said:

leddit was always a cesspool. Anyway, cool forum. I'll stick around for a bit and see how it goes.

Thank you!

While I don't think the reddit userbase is toxic, I feel the mechanics of reddit are.

spacer.png